Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mixed Media Scrapbooking layout

Do you live in an area where you can witness the amazing art of sand sculptures?  The only product that the designers can use is sand and water.  That is it!  They produce amazing art pieces that will, in a few days, be destroyed by the elements.  I  guess at least with our hobby, we are preserving memories.  Hopefully element free!!  Mary-Ann here today to share a layout I created from our trip to Revere Beach in Revere Mass.  Look closely at my large photo.  My son is mimicking the sand sculpture behind him. 

 To get started, I chose papers that would highlight my pictures.  What better paper and embellishments to use than the Prima Seashore collection, right?


My base paper is pretreated with clear Gesso.  This allows my spray inks to blend and not immediately soak into my raw paper.  After the Gesso dried, I sprayed water onto my page and added drops of spray ink like so....


If you feel your  colors are too harsh, like here, you can add white or a bit more water to thin it out.


While my inks are drying, I layer papers behind my photo.  I used papers from the Prima Seashore 6x6 paper pad and the October Afternoon Public Library 8x8 paper pack.  I also grabbed a few ephemera from 7Gypsies  Chronicles packet.  I staple them together so they do not shift but still allow me to insert other pieces if I feel necessary.


I added this clump to the upper right of my page, allowing enough space on the bottom for my second clump of papers and photos.  Here I added a few embellishments that help anchor (no pun intended) my page.


Here is the lower clump of papers and photos.  Check out that Iwo Jima sculpture, truly magnificent in person.  I added a few more embellishments here, just like the upper portion.


Then I added my title.  I did a bit of machine sewing for my title to ensure that it would remain in place.  Once I did that, I needed to add stitching in other places to bring it all together.  I tried not to do too much and take it over the top.


 Here is my finished layout again.  The messy cut triangle corners were a must in making this layout come together.  There was just a bit too much white space.

I do appreciate you stopping by and seeing my project.  Stop in daily as our design team is busy creating.  


Supplies used:


7 comments:

Kim said...

Love, love, love this my sweet friend. It may be one of my all time favorites!! XXOO

Unknown said...

This layout is awesome. I love the use of colors and layering that you used - it perfectly compliments the wonderful photos.....

Julia Aston said...

What a great layout and beautiful photos! I live a couple of towns over from Revere Beach - and we have been to see the wonderful sculptures a couple of times - they are quite something!

Micki said...

OMGosh, awesome layout and love how you incorporate mixed media with the standard type of scrapbooking (if that makes sense)...... Love it.

Andiepants said...

I love how you used multiple photos on one page. The film strip style along the obttom edge rocks. Love the photos themselves too and yes...Prima seashore was PERFECT!

Mary-Ann Maldonado said...

Thank you micki, you are ALWAYS so kind. Hugs.

Mary-Ann Maldonado said...

Thanks chica!