Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Stencil mania !

Hello ! It's Sue here and today I'm sharing a journal page that fed my need to stencil ! I love stencils, so I thought I would indulge myself and take you along for the ride too !



I started by using some Tissue Wrap and Glue 'n' Seal and covered most of the page. I didn't want alot of white space and my thoughts at this stage were to that I wanted the text show.


I started to build up the layers of chalk acrylic paint using the combination of a paint brush and a baby wipe. The Glue 'n' Seal makes it really easy to use acrylic paints as it protects the paper and also creates a smooth surface to work on. 


I moved onto to darker paint but kept it to the sides leaving the centre paler. I decided that I wantd the large butterfly on the Tissue Wrap to be seen.


I then started to stencil ! I used a Donna Downey stencil on opposite corners and used the 'bumping' technique to create a shadow. Then I used the Chevron stencil making sure I didn't stencil over the top of the large butterfly.



I carried on stencilling but neglected to get more step by step photos ! Apologies ! The smaller butterflies have been stamped with black Archival ink and then I've painted them with chalk acrylic paint. The centre piece is a chipboard shape that I've painted and rubbed some Onyxite Treasure Gold around the edge.


The poppies are die cut and I've then painted them, I had California Poppies in mind at this point! The sentiment is a Wendy Vecchi stamp, which you can just about see !


This is, I think, the finished page. I say I think as I'm wondering if there's something else that needs adding. I will have to live with it and see what comes to mind !

I hope you've enjoyed my indulgence in stencils today !

Sue
x


13 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

What a beauty, Sue - those glorious orange flowers against your amazing stencilled background of ocean depths are so perfect. Brilliant page - I love the page format of your journal too, very cool.
Alison x

toni said...

Oh yessss! Lovely page makes me want to get those stencils out ! X

Redanne said...

Your page is just fabulous, I love how you left the large butterfly, the smaller ones look amazing as do the California poppies! Beautiful. Anne xx

Candida said...

Wow! This is so beautiful! I loved your page.

Boei said...

Fantastic idea! Wonderful work :)

Ellie Knol said...

I LOVE it, it's super how you get to the result by starting on .. white paper :)

Kathi said...

Really beautiful page.

What size is your notebook?

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Love this journal page ,Sue! everything here looks so pretty background stenciling and stamping, die cuts, TH tissue wrap..and colors! I am inspired to make one today.

kateri said...

I too love stencils. You've created so many layers. I would have loved to have seen the entire process, but appreciate what you did share. Your piece is not only interesting with it's depth of color and layers, but it's absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing your art with the world. I hope I see more of your work.

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE this journal page, Sue! LOVE stencils and LOVE the way you used yours! Your colors and layers are BEAUTIFUL!

Art By Wanda said...

A really gorgeous page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracy said...

Ohhhh Sue it`s full of yummy texture and the colors are stunning, love it!!
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxox

Micki said...

Gorgeous colors and love all the different stencils used. Love that journal - the wide pages!