Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Happy Haunting!

Sherry here and today it’s my turn to post a project for you.  With September just around the corner and acorns already falling on the deck, I’m starting to get in the fall/Halloween decorating mood.   Because I like to add a couple of new decorations to the mix every year, I decided to start earlier this year and make a Chunky ATC using Graphic 45 Happy Haunting Collection.  

This is what I started with, a piece of pine stud cut to 2.5 x 3.5”.

Plain Chunky ATC

To show you the difference between a Chunky ATC (which is cut to the actual size of an ATC (3.5 x 2.5”) and a Chunky Tag (which is cut the size of a manila tag at 6”), I decided to take this picture of them side by side.

Chunky Tag and ATC

A 2x4 wall stud is really only 3.5” wide, so in order to cut ATCs from the stud, you would need to cut pieces 2.5” wide.  
  
Here’s one side of my Chunky ATC.

HappyHauntingChunkyATC ClockSide

All four sides were covered with the same paper from Happy Haunting, the edges sanded and then sponged with Vintage Photo Distress Ink

The flowers were die cut from Spellbinders Blossom Five Die Template, assembled and then covered with Ranger Matte Glue n’ Seal sprinkled with glitter.

Here’s a side view of the flower so you can see all the dimension.

HappyHauntingChunkyATC SideView

From this photo, you can also see the different layers of the image on this side of the Chunky ATC.  The images were adhered to chipboard with the Ranger Matte Glue n’ Seal, then trimmed out and layered with foam mounting tape.
The other side of the Chunky ATC.

HappyHauntingChunkyATC TagSide

The leaves die cut from GrungePaper with Spellbinders Foliage, were painted with Peeled Paint Distress Stain, and then the edges were sponged with Forest Moss Distress Ink.  

While I’m thinking of it, another little trick I’ve been using lately instead of using the ink blending tool, is simply cutting small squares of Ranger Cut n’ Dry Stamp Pad Foam and using it by itself  for all my sponging.  This lets me get into small areas and manipulate the sponge much easier.

You’ll notice there are two shelves attached to the wider sides of the Chunky ATC.  They are made from some hobby trim, painted black and then highlighted with Antique Gold Rub ‘n Buff.  The knob on the top is a drawer pull I purchased on clearance from Michael’s.    The feet are some old beads from a necklace that were glued to the bottom.  To keep the beads from tearing away from the paper, I hammered a small flat-head nail down through the hole in the center for more support.

That’s all for me today.  Thanks for stopping by!
SHERRY SIGNATURE

16 comments:

Carol said...

Love love love that you started with a block of wood. So cool. Thanks Sherry! Love this idea.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I love your "chunky" tags and art...this one is so fun. I really like the orange sphere...sets everything off. And your flowers are always fabulous.

Janet L. said...

Very cute, Sherry!!

Kim said...

You never cease to amaze me Ms. Sherry! This is a fantastic project! I think I know what I'll be doing with all the wood scraps in our garage...

Mary said...

Sherry, Your work is ALWAYS beautiful. I'm thinking you are the queen of layering and flowers! FYI: This is my third attempt to leave a post. I'm not a robot, but am having major problems figuring out the letters.

Dee in N.H. said...

Way cool!!! I need to raid the wood pile for sure!!

Vic said...

Very cool!

Starla said...

Gotta love a chunky tag!! Thank for the reminder of how much I like them! Maybe I'll find some time before the end of the year to make one myself! (haha)

Rea' said...

Too Cute Sherry !

Pam said...

Love your chunky ATC! Your flowers are glorious, as always.

seau said...

Very clever Sherry, I love G45 paper and you did a wonderful job on using the paper. Thanks for sharing your little projects.

Queen Mary said...

Sherry's work is always so cool! I'm so glad eP is back with a bang!

BethW said...

You made my day-this is fantastic!

Broni said...

Fabulous as always, Sherry! I love the thought of a Halloween themed chunky ATC! May have to work on that for the grandkids!

Kelly said...

Oh Wow!
I'd never thought of doing a 'chunky' ATC. So gonna play with this. Thanks!

Monika/Buzsy said...

WOW! Fabulous chunky ATC. Love the elements on this one. Looks great.